Monday, September 7, 2009

The Memoirs of Three People I Don't Know

Over the course of this three-day weekend I read three memoirs, and I thought that they were all very...detailed. The detail showed especially in the first memoir, the story of a little girl growing up in Cambodia at the onset of the Vietnam War. The mention of feeling her way in the dark and the piercing sounds of bullets flying outside almost made me feel as though I were in that house.

Although not the case with the first memoir, the second and third were rather humorous. They were funny, slice-of-life type stories, still holding some detail but focusing on the use of humor to convey a point. I'm fairly sure I got the points...

Anyway, I liked Us and Them the best. I appreciated the humor as well as the implied message of how people so close physically can seem so far away figuratively. The idea of hating and lashing out against the misunderstood in favor of introspection was also an appreciated implication.

No comments:

Post a Comment